Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Poem by Lance Sheridan


night into day/goodnight till the morning sun

night into day

him¦

innumerable stars written in light
i often dream that the night is more alive
as it walks down the sky with darkness in its hand
and what I take from it I add to my days¯

silently, one-by-one from its twilight meadows
i cannot walk through the suburbs of solitude 
without reverencing the night
for it helps to banish the logic of humanity¯

to them never a time yet but seemed far duller than the day
how long will the night continue to window their pain
dreams reflected in the day but not in the night
blackened illustrations nonetheless, sleeping while awake¯

second course – the death of reasons, ordinarily observed
in the night – insomnia, a symptom of deprivation
filled with paradoxes – they sheep flock to it with reluctance
the repose of my night, my dreams, my sleep – do not belong to it¯

it does not possess me, it is not my soul’s keeper
yet it does not boast of freedom
it walks down an inoffensive path removing all obstructions
in a world of my own, a good night’s sleep is the best oblivion¯

a new day twists the arm of the night and bades it farewell
like a weary pilgrim, it unlatches the dawn
and it chases away the darkness and the weary worn
everything takes a breath of the morning air, but not to ‘err is human’¯

for in the morning dew, the little things in life are awakened…


goodnight till the morning sun

she¦

walking upon white sands
imprisoned by thoughts and narrow walls
that hold no comfort within right now¯

walking beneath the sun
yes warm
but feel embraced by the coldness¯

as hands touch loneliness
down on hands and knees i go
to touch the warmth once more¯

but through clouds of smoke
i search for you
and the sun¯

oh hear my voice upon the ocean
within your dreams
till the morning sun appears¯

and as sunshine warms your face
open your eyes in joy
and know my thoughts are with you¯

but for now i am walking
walking upon white sands
imprisoned by narrow walls¯

thoughts hold no comfort
as I walk beneath the sun
upon white sands within a dream¯

as I say goodnight though
my heart belongs to you
till the morning sun¯
 
 
 
Lance Sheridan is a published author-Bits and Pieces to Ponder; published poet - in an anthology; have been writing poetry since 2002. Website: 
http://deadheadingpoet.wordpress.com/ *read the 'About' page. Poet Interview on November 8, 2012 by a Salisbury University Journalism Major. 

No comments:

Post a Comment