Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Three Poems by James Sanchez


There is a tear in my eye
As I write the obituary for us
It tickles as it sallies down the contour of my cheek
Monday mornings we sat at a café counter
A well worn paper in my hands
A well fingered Blackberry in yours
Ambient sounds
Din of working class life
Coughs sighs laughs sneezes
Bitter truths
We are lost
I steady myself against the desk
The one purchased on a Sunday at the bazaar
It rained
We walked to the tent
You smiled
Smile of contentment
Insouciant
No strings love
You hired him on a Tuesday
Or was it…
Young wild
Drug addled but free
Unencumbered by the rituals of domesticity
It was gradual
I have that
No whirl wind
Like the shore line of Daytona
We faded methodically
A puddle forms on the space bar
Iloveyou



Juana held her sanity tightly
A newborn clinging to a mother’s once chiseled legs
Her edge has shifted towards the rear of the mind
Space between lost loves
A stream rolling
Carrying the recognition
The bed is unmade
Paper Mache Mountains
Formed from hate fucking
The lust for meaning
To have a place to settle one’s bones
Sweat stains mingle with confused sperm
Purpose in conflict with action
He was drenched in liquor
A glance across a bar
A siren’s call
The wreckage gathers at the foot of an altar
Worshiper of sleep
Offering for the uninterested god




I touch her hand gently like wispy sigh
Her eyes tell me to proceed with dread
Black embers of self-doubt draw and quarter my resolve
It was all a game before
Polite gestures
Unsure hand placements
Corrective glances
I was so new
Twilight bathes her tonight while she hums along to others melodies
I have been waiting for my chance
She sweats deception and intrigue
The rivulets of strain and excess escape towards the bottom
I am mesmerized by…
She turns to see who it might be
Who it should be
I smile with the ease of one who knows
She wipes her eyes




James Sanchez is a Poet and Teacher from Hialeah, Florida. He holds a B.A. in English from Florida International University. He teaches English and Creative Writing at Ronald W. Reagan/ Doral Senior High School. His work has appeared in The Apeiron Review, The Weekenders, and The Acentos Review among others. He resides in Miami with his wife and son.

No comments:

Post a Comment