Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Poem by Denise R. Weuve

Fire Eater
 
In Malibu
the fires
are finally 
 
out, but ashes
hover
like fine despair.
 
Somebody's hopes
cover
my Toyota
 
and I dust them
away
the way you once
 
did me. But I
should not
care when I hear
 
you are engaged
yet my
stomach tightens
 
on the smoke that
is your
ghostly presence
 
still on my love
seat. How
quickly could I
 
extinguish
your new
woman's burning
 
if I told of
our bed
smoldering lust
 
into love. Tongues
darting
like blue flames
 
into each others
mouths
‘til we ignited.
 
I always knew
I was
strong enough
 
to eat fire. Would
she leave
you? Cold gray groom
 
at the altar
the way
you left me for
 
an icy North,
when hot
embers still burned
 
in my stomach.
I am
fine now, gutted,
 
an empty house,
fodder
for men to search
 
through. Still, I wish
you the
best, but warn you,
 
not all women
can eat
fire and survive.
 
 
 
 
Denise R. Weuve’s work appears or is forthcoming in Carnival Literary Magazine, Emerge Literary Journal, Eunoia Review, Gutter Eloquence, Pearl, RipRap, San Pedro River Review, and South Coast Poetry Journal. She teaches English and Creative Writing in Cerritos, California and is actively seeking the perfect MFA program (or one that will take her-which ever comes first). She collects paper cuts, and other miscellaneous damage to display in glass cases (her blog http://deniserweuve.wordpress.com/). Contact her at Inkdamage@gmail.com or follow her on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/denise.weuve.1.

1 comment: