Friday, April 12, 2013

A Poem by Sandy Benitez


The Approaching Rain
 
I drew in the shutters
when I felt the first chill of Fall.
There were rooms in my heart
that had collapsed from an internal quake.
But that was a story for another day.
 
You'd like to think it was because of you
but that is not so.
Mother tends to worry but she will be fine
wrapped in her aubergine shawl
rocking by a fireplace with no wood.
 
Tomorrow I will collect the leaves
that piled up like heartaches
from my withering tree out back
and burn them with the letters
I never sent you,
the stamps I never licked.
 
I can smell the rain approaching,
my eyes becoming cloudier and grey.
 
 
 
Sandy Benitez is the founder and editor of Flutter Press and Poppy Road Review. She has authored a full-length collection of poetry, five chapbooks, and published in two anthologies. Sandy resides in California with her husband and their 2 children.


No comments:

Post a Comment